- ilma [at] ilma-lakes [dot] org
- 800-338-6976 access code 01
The Lake County Stormwater Management Commission (SMC) is looking for one qualified intern to assist our planning staff with a variety of watershed planning, GIS and field tasks. For additional information on SMC, see our website at http://www.lakecountyil.gov/553/Stormwater-Management-Commission.
Position: Water Resource Internship
Location: Libertyville, Illinois
Salary: $15/hour – Part-Time to Full-Time Internship
Job Summary: (see below)
Becoming a Water Resource Intern with the Lake County Stormwater Management Commission would allow you to engage in watershed planning, GIS projects and field work at the county level. Duties will consist of report writing, stakeholder and community outreach, data compilation and organization, research and other tasks essential to the watershed planning process. This role balances learning and job duties to keep you continuously learning and refining your skill set.
The academic requirements of this position, require that you should be a graduate or current student in a 2- or 4-year college degree program with an emphasis on environmental sciences, planning or related hydrology fields. Applicants must be able to work inside and outside in variable conditions and be willing to engage in limited strenuous physical activity. Applicants with a high level of organization and comfort with multi-tasking is desirable. Applicants must be able to proficiently use Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with ESRI ArcGIS is strongly preferred.
The successful candidate will work primarily in the office; however, field assistance may be required as needed. This position has the benefit of allowing the candidate to apply classroom experiences to real world applications. The intern will be introduced to many aspects of the countywide planning, engineering, and regulatory functions at SMC. Representative tasks may include but are not limited to the following:
• Assist staff with the development of watershed-based plans and project implementation.
• Assist with in-house project design tasks, including field reconnaissance, data analysis, plan and specification development. This task may involve working with ArcGIS.
• Assist staff with ongoing inspections of water quality best management practices and outfall/stormsewer field inventorying.
• Assist staff with updating the resources SMC provides for the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Municipal Stormwater (MS4) Program.
• Assist staff with updating the resources SMC provides related to stormwater Best Management Practices (BMPs).
• Miscellaneous tasks assisting planning staff as needed. These may include GIS mapping and analysis support, file scanning, office file reduction, answering phones and providing front desk customer support and any other tasks deemed necessary by staff.
The planning intern will have the flexibility to work part-time to full-time hours, beginning in approximately late-March, early April 2020. Please be sure to include a cover letter and resume highlighting your related work or classroom experience. You will have endless opportunities to impact and make a difference within Lake County, building working relationships with employees, wetland and soil scientists, planners and regulatory staff.
Any offer of employment is conditioned on the successful completion of a background screening, drug and alcohol testing and may include a pre-employment medical exam. Lake County is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, please visit https://tinyurl.com/s99y4ut
Job Location Libertyville, Illinois, United States
Position Type Intern
Applications will be accepted until March 20, 2020
Tracking Code 217559-924